Monday, June 9, 2014

Storytelling through art and pictures

Native American Art!

Last week and this week, the kids and I have been working on different forms of storytelling. We concentrated on Native American art and cave art. Today we made a Native American shield and tomorrow we will create some cave art. 
I found this lesson plan online for Native Art in school: Click Here for lesson
The kids and I discussed how the Native Americans decorated everything from their clothing, teepee's, drums and so much more. They expressed anything from hunts to everyday life of their cultures through this art. I gave them the hand out with the symbols and they created a shield with the symbols. We discussed using only colors we could produce with stuff from nature and they went from there. 

Tomorrow, I will be reading the kids one of the stories I found from these sites: 
After listening to the story, they will have to recreate the narrative using cave art and the symbols we will discuss tomorrow. 

I will post more pictures tomorrow with our cave art adventures! Many thanks to a teacher-friend of mine for giving me this idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment